[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Why Evergreen?

Mary Toma headlib at scrlibrary.mb.ca
Tue Mar 1 10:01:33 EST 2011

In my 11 year tenure as head librarian we are now on our 4th ILS.  The only
one who knew anything about the first ILS died suddenly, the second one was
sold to a company that wasn't interested in the concerns of a regional
library and didn't have Z39, which became a grant requirement, the 3rd one
couldn't figure out how to co-ordinate loans between a multi-branch system
so we switched to Evergreen and have never regretted it.  No one person can
die and take all the information with them, it can't be sold and Evergreen
was originally set up as a consortium.  We considered Koha but as we are a
multi-branch regional Evergreen suited our needs much better.

Mary Toma
South Central Regional Library
160 Main Street
Box 1540