[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Ongoing conversion effort

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Mar 1 21:17:01 EST 2011

Ok, I have managed to get most of the way through importing data now and
have some new questions.

Bib and holdings are in.  Circulation is hopefully in.  Think I
understand enough to have billing records imported in the next day or
so.

The big question now is what causes fines to be generated?  I have moved
in circulation records and the system is up and running 24/7 yet no
fines have been generated.  I can look at a patron's record and see
overdue books but they don't owe anything.  I then checked in an overdue
item and still no fine.

So is there some nightly process I should be starting or have I somehow
imported the circulation in such a way it is silently failing somewhere?

A less important question is aged circulation.  What causes a
circulation event to become aged?  The how is pretty clear, deleting a
row from action.circulation fires a trigger that anonymizes it into
aged_circulation.  But what ages out old circulation events?  I pulled
in our entire past circulation (well back to the last automation change
in '04) and they have all been happily sitting in circulation for a few
days now.

Here is a chunk of my import script where I'm hopefully stuffing in sane
default values:

            my $duration = undef;
            #fine_interval
            my $fine_interval = '1 day';
            #recuring_fine
            my $recuring_fine = undef;
            #max_fine
            my $max_fine = undef;
            #phone_renewal - bool
            my $phone_renewal = 'FALSE';
            #desk_renewal - bool
            my $desk_renewal = 'FALSE';
            #opac_renewal - bool
            my $opac_renewal = 'FALSE';
            #duration_rule
            my $duration_rule = 'default';
            #recuring_fine_rule
            my $recuring_fine_rule = 'default';
            #max_fine_rule
            my $max_fine_rule = 'default';
            #stop_fines
            my $stop_fines = undef;

The other outstanding question is holds.  Looking at the database after
placing a hold to see what it is doing and still a bit fuzzy as to what
I need to stuff in there to import existing holds.  Need to understand
two basic scenarios, an outstanding hold and one awaiting pickup.

Here is what I think I am seeing.  To place a hold I write an entry to
action.hold_request and an entry to action.hold_copy_map for every copy
of the item.  If it is on the reserve shelf on import day I do the above
two steps and set status in asset.copy to "On holds shelf" (8) and
possibly place an entry in action.hold_notification?  Is this enough to
get things rolling?