[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Arabic in Evergreen

Christoph Schilling ch.schilling at gmx.de
Thu Mar 3 07:02:26 EST 2011

Hi Dan,
I am very glad that there seems to be a way out, I also saw on the
roadmap for the 2.0 release Arabic is on the list of the staff client
language sets. Great! Maybe I should soon move to the new release.
> 1) Some sample Arabic MARC records (ideally, licensed so that we can
> add them to our test datasets)

I was working on a Mark record from the LC. I am just trying to figure
out how Arabic Marc records function since there seems to be not a very
functioning  consense when I look into how  western libraries do it and
how libraries in the Arab world do it.
I hope to still add some records in the coming days. How do I export
them from evergreen to send them to you? (sorry for the simple question)

> 2) A screenshot of how the text in the records should appear (perhaps
> copy the text into a text editor or whatever application displays it
> properly).

That is how it should look like:

100 1 #‡6 880-01 ‡a Tūnjī, Muḥammad.

880 1 #‡6 100-01/(3/r‏ ‡a‏تونجي, محمد

245 1 3 #‡6 880-02 ‡a al-Muʻarrab wa-al-dakhīl fī al-lughah al-ʻArabīyah
wa-ādābihā / ‡c taʼlīf Muḥammad al-Tūnjī.

880 1 2 #‡6 245-02/(3/r/‏ ‡a &#x200fالمعرب والدخيل في اللغة
العربية وآدابها /&#٬٢٠٠ن؛ ‡c ‏تأليف محمد التونجي.

Here is a screenshot in case your email has no Arabic support:

Arabic letters joined together

remark: I was not able to find out all of the code's meaning. The
&#x200f might just be a code for a sign in a non-latin script since
&#x02bc probably represents a sign like ’ representing an Arabic letter
(Hamzat qat'a) in transcript. (see line 245 ‡c)

When I copied the text from the Mark Editor Import Page which looked
like the you see in the screenshot, the letters connected to each other
as I pasted it into my openoffice sheet.

> 3) A screenshot of how Evergreen displays the MARC record for
> comparison.

Marc record from LC Arabic letters not joined in evergreen

Thanks a lot for your help!
Christoph