[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] EG 2.0: problem Marc2bre - Global Flags "Maintain 001-003-035 according MARC" and "TCN=Internal ID"

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 4 16:00:02 EST 2011

Apologies Dan for the long gap discussing this - and thanks for your fix (part of the 2.0.2 release) that makes the Global Flag "Cat: Use internal ID for TCN value"  when set to TRUE, have the same effect for command line importing bib records as it already had  for importing through the GUI.

However:  also the other Global Flag "Maintain 001-003-035 according MARC"  when set to TRUE,  behaves differently when importing bib records from the command line then through the GUI:

- through the GUI  the Control Number in the imported bib record's 001 field gets pushed to the 035 as expected and the 001 receives the Evergreen Internal Record ID etc.; and because of the Global Flag "Cat: Use Internal ID for TCN Value" the TCN follows this Internal Record ID
- importing from the command line the Global Flag setting is ignored however and the Control Number in the imported bib record's 001 field becomes the new Evergreen Record ID;  the TCN also ignores it's Global Flag Setting -  this latter behaviour has been fixed now (as I understand it)

Question though:  does your fix also remedy the other expected behaviour "Maintain 001-003-035 according MARC" when importing bib records from the command line?

And if not: what can we do about it?

A further comment on your

> This is extremely useful  ["setting the record ID to whatever number is in 001"] if you have separate records for holdings, etc, that point to an existing record ID that you need to sync them up with
> during your migration.

True that with Global Flag "Maintain 001-003-035 according MARC"  set to TRUE, life gets a bit more complicated linking MARC Holding and Bib Record but still doable: IISH (Chris Roosendaal) discussed this over IRC a while back with this outcome while using a "staging table" approach [quote from the IISH documentation]:
"..In our Evergreen 2.0 database this JOIN did not work, because the bibkeys were replaced by an internal auto-increment key when the bibliographic records were inserted. Fortunately there is a mapping between the original bibkeys and the new keys in the metabib.real_full_rec table, and therefore an extra JOIN is needed.
.."  after which bib and holding record can be successfully linked.

And one odd observation:  doing a command line import for authority records, the command line behaviour *is* the same as thorugh the GUI.

Repke de Vries, IISH

Op 17 feb 2011, om 00:36 heeft Dan Scott het volgende geschreven: