[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Server-side OPAC development project: an introduction

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Mar 9 10:04:07 EST 2011

Hi Bill,

I want to echo the kudos for the new catalog. It looks great, and the
improved performance and easier customization of the templates should be a
big plus for Evergreen. Thank you for sharing the work in progress so that
we have an opportunity to take a close look at it.

I have a couple of questions about the new catalog.

I noticed the current Proof of Concept doesn't display any faceting with the
search results.  Is faceting something that is planned to be incorporated at
a future date or, if not, is it something that a library could easily
incorporate when customizing these templates?

Also, one of the KCLS development projects we have been highly interested in
is an e-Commerce interface for the public catalog. I noticed on the KCLS web
site that they are hoping to implement online fine payment in early spring.
I was just wondering if the e-Commerce interface will be something that is
only available under the new catalog or will it also be available for a
library using a skin under the old architecture? I guess I'm leading to a
larger question of what happens when a significant portion of the Evergreen
community is using the new OPAC, but another significant portion is still
using a customized default skin. As new functionality is developed for the
new catalog, will it also be available for the old catalog? I imagine there
will come a point when the old catalog is no longer supported, but I'm
mostly thinking of enhancements that may be developed in the short-term
future.

Thanks!
Kathy Lussier

Kathy Lussier