[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Update on Beauregard Parish Library

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Mar 15 16:18:51 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 09:51 -0500, Anoop Atre wrote:
> Vicki,
>
> Congratulations! I noticed that you are still setting up an SSL
> certificate, we've been using StartSSL [ http://www.startssl.com/ ] and
> have had a very good experience. They have a free certificate option
> (class 1) that just requires the applicant to be verified (we use class
> 2), might be worth a look.

Nope, another scam site.  Lure you in with FREE FREE FREE and then bury
in the fine print the 30 day time limit.  After a lot of digging,
godaddy.com was the lowest price and even on sale costs about as much as
registering a domain.  Most SSL cert pricing is totally insane, thats
what artificial scarcity will do for ya.

Btw, you have to knock the secret knock to get the good price at
Godaddy. Google "ssl certificate" and follow that link in or you can't
get one for $12.95/year.  It is a promotion so who knows when it will go
back up to crazy so I went ahead and locked in five years at that price.

SSL Certs are a total scam anyway, too bad the browser vendors insist on
throwing up the scariest warnings they can muster on a self signed one.
If the cert signers were actually forced to validate before handing them
out they would be worth something (see EV certs) but just verifying they
are emailing em out to a contact in the domain reg means almost nothing
since ICAN removed the identity validation requirements to register a
domain.