[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Aged Holding and Acquisitions

Tim Spindler tjspindler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:55:30 EDT 2011

I’m not sure if anyone else has looked at this much but the timer on this
appears to be starting when the copy is created.  Therefore, if you have say
an aged holding set for 2 weeks and you are using acquisitions, the time
starts ticking as soon as you order an item.

Scenario (2 week aged holding setting)

   1. Order “Omnivore’s Delimma” on August 1
   2. Item goes into the catalog with status “on order” and the clock starts
   ticking on the item
   3. Item is received September 10 (so there is no longer any block on a
   hold before it even gets to the shelf)

The problem is that holds can be placed on items “on order” so if we were to
have the timer start ticking when the item has the status “Available” you
have to make it unavailable for holds before then.

Has anyone else run into this or thought much about this issue?  Is my
understanding of the way aged holding works correct?

This has come up because we essentially have member libraries who only want
holds aged for a 1-2 week period once it hits the shelf.  Unfortunately,
time between ordering and actually putting the item on the shelf is highly
variable.

--

Tim Spindler

Manager of Library Applications