[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Evergreen documentation

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 17:56:52 EDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz> wrote:
> On 4 November 2011 10:15, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It's not an oversight.
>>>
>>> We can, certainly, grant a differently flavored license to the DIG
>>> (well, the foundation, I guess) specifically, or provide explicit
>>> clarification on points of concern regarding commercial use, if that's
>>> the only way DIG will be able to make use of the documentation we
>>> produce.  But unless a licensing exception is requested (and, really,
>>> all it takes is an email explaining why) we'll be defaulting to the
>>> less BSD-like -NC license.
>>>

>> I feel I should clarify the reasons for this decision.
>>
>> We have, in recent memory, had documentation that we produced and own
>> the copyright on taken directly, rebranded to strip all mention of ESI
>> -- in the content, copyright notices, everything -- and reused without
>> any attribution.  This has happened more than once, and was not
>> addressed even after we specifically requested that the we simply be
>> credited.  Because our request for simple attribution has not been
>> respected, we felt it important to make a clear and strong statement
>> that, while everything we produce will be made available to the Open
>> Source community for use and reuse, we (all, not just ESI) have to put
>> thought explicitly into protecting our rights and being explicit about
>> what we will allow by default.
>>
>> Again, because we own these works, we can license them to whomever we
>> wish under whatever license works for any given situation -- just ask,
>> and work with us, if there's no way for any particular group (DIG,
>> other vendors, etc) to use NC content based on the advice of council,
>> or without clarification of what constitutes commercial use based on
>> our understanding and intent.
>>
>> Unfortunately, history has forced us to default to a stronger initial
>> license than we might otherwise have chosen.
>>
> Hmm playing devils advocate, do you think they will respect the NC
> clause any more than they respected by BY-SA ?

That's a point that was raised, and I think that the point has merit
-- some that would avoid attributing a BY-SA work won't respect NC --
but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't state our intentions and
desires explicitly.  The analogy that comes to mind is leaving your
front door unlocked and open when you go on vacation.  The door being
open doesn't excuse burglars from coming in and taking your TV, but
you bear some responsibility for not taking common-sense steps to
avoid the theft.

--
Mike Rylander