[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Some questions about Evergreen about the future

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Oct 3 11:51:30 EDT 2011

Hi Baptiste:

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 09:38:00AM +0200, Baptiste Montoya wrote:
> Good morning members of the list,
>
> I'm currently working on a benchmark between 4 open source ILS. 3 are very
> common in french librairies : koha, pmb, openflora (formerly flora). The 4th
> is Evergreen.

Great! I hope you get the chance to try out each one and actually work
through claims vs. reality (and use each project's community to help you
with that). We've seen some comparisons in the past that seemed to have
little to do with reality (e.g. "No RSS support in Evergreen" when
Evergreen has offered RSS support since release 1.0).

> Why Evergreen  ? Because i like the story, the success, and the philosophy
> behind this ILS.

Great :)

> I currently have a comparison table between the 4 ILS, but i need further
> information about the future of Evergreen (i mean, short to middle term
> ideas to implement).

We're mostly focused on the short term - what will be available when
2.1.0 is released (this week perhaps) as well as what has already been
committed to the master repository for the 2.2.0 release (an alpha
release of 2.2. should be expected shortly after the 2.1.0 release comes
out).

> I'm looking for someone who can answer 8 questions about some web3 features
> (without surprise, Most of these features do not exist in current versions
> of the other ILS tested).

A few of us on IRC collaborated on some answers to your questions; we
placed them in the Evergreen wiki so that if others have something to
share they can add them, and it makes it easier for others to find
similar answers to their questions in the future:

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=advocacy:replies:2011-10-02-montoya

Hope this helps,
Dan