[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Virtual Image

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Tue Oct 4 12:20:03 EDT 2011

Thomas,

Quick question, in your VM's network adapter(s) settings, which device
is each adapter attached to? The choices offered, can be for example
NAT, Bridged, Internal network, Host-only adapter. Each choice has its
own characteristics in terms if it allows the guest VM to access the
internet, the host machine, and/or other guest VMs (running inside the
same host). As well if it allows the host OS, outside users, or other
guest VMs (running inside the same host) to access the original guest
VM.

For example, If your "adapter 1" is set to NAT, then that explains why
the VM can get on the internet or load webpages served by its own
Apache server. To allow the host machine to be able to connect to the
guest VM you can use the "host-only adapter," but by default you will
not get access to the internet from the guest VM. You can instead
choose "Bridged" and select your host machine's ethernet port, but if
you are running on a laptop that is only using it wifi network device
to connect to the internet, you might not able to use the wifi device
as the Bridged target. Note, that the sample EG VM might be already
set up with more than one adapter, and you can set up that VM to have
a mix one adapter attached to NAT and another adapter attached to host-
only to get the best of both worlds.

Here is a link tot he Virtual Box online manual with more technical
details....
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#networkingmodes

My apologies if I have made any mistakes in my summary, I am just
relaying what I have figured out on my own so far.

Good luck,
Yamil