[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Covers and ISBNs

Gordana Vitez gvitez at niagaracollege.ca
Thu Oct 6 16:14:16 EDT 2011

Hi Brian,

We came across the same problem back in the summer and I think the only thing to do is ask the materials provider to switch the order. I did get a good explanation from Galen and I'll include it here:

"For what it's worth, arranging the 020s so that the ISBN-13 comes first,
followed by the ISBN-10, is actually supposed to be the standard
behavior. For example, see:

http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/020-13%20plan.pdf
http://www.ingrambook.com/isbn13/libraries/default.asp#4

Consequently, requesting that your materials providers provide 020
fields in the opposite order, while that all *that* non-standard, is
nonetheless bucking the trend. Furthermore, for any records that you
manually import, reversing the 020s just seems like a workflow step that
is better avoided.

I recommend an alternative approach, namely consider using the
OpenLibrary added content provider rather than the Amazon one, as it
appears that it readily recognizes both the 10- and 13- digit forms of
the ISBN."

It wasn't an option for us to use OpenLibrary for content as they do not offer DVD covers...and they are very important to the public libraries in our consortium. It is still my understanding that covers can only be retrieved from one provider. So we're in a situation where we have to go with the reversed order.

I would be very interested to hear if there have been any further development regarding this issue.

Thanks!
Gordana

>>> Ben Shum <bshum at biblio.org> 10/6/2011 1:56 PM >>>
Hi Brian,

As far as I know, the first ISBN entry of a record will always be used to retrieve added content images.  I'm not familiar with any workarounds other than editing the records to order the information in them accordingly, but maybe someone is working on this?  Otherwise, I think that'd be a useful feature to have in the future.

-- Ben