[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Covers and ISBNs

Ian Bays ian.bays at ptfs-europe.com
Fri Oct 7 05:52:00 EDT 2011

Hi Ben, Brian et al,

We came across this when trying to show images from Amazon.  We know
from experience that Amazon mostly only responds to 10-digit ISBNs as
the Amazon ID matched the 10-digit ISBN.  Amazon's line has always been
that they provide images keyed on their Amazon ID.

When loading data there are 10-digit and 13-digit ISBNs often in no
particular order.  So we found the script in Evergreen that forms the
URL for the image from Amazon and test if the ISBN is 13-digits, and if
so convert it using Business::ISBN perl module to be a 10-digit ISBN.
So no messing with the data in bib at all.  Seems to work well.

On our system the script to change is:
/openils/lib/perl5/OpenILS/WWW/AddedContent/Amazon.pm

We're happy to share - it's just a few lines.  Maybe this should be on
the DEV list?

Also we noticed that if your ISBNs have hyphens in them then the ISBN
only comes through as the digits up to the first hyphen (in our case
usually "0").  We do get lots of cataloguers who believe ISBNs should
have hyphens.  So we are weighing up removing hyphens in data conversion
versus finding the code that writes the ISBN field and getting it to
skip/ignore hyphens.  Should make it look real pretty!

All the best.

Ian

--
Ian Bays