[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Metarecords and copy numbers

Elizabeth Thomsen et at noblenet.org
Sat Sep 10 14:41:13 EDT 2011

We really like the option to group formats and editions, and the way it
allows users to place a single hold on multiple different bib records.
It's one of my favorite features in Evergreen.

I have a question about the way the metarecords display in the results
list.  In our own training system and the live Evergreen sites I've
checked, the metarecords show as having 0/0 copies, which certainly must
discourage patrons from placing holds on them.   Logically, shouldn't
these copy numbers be aggregated from all the bib records?  And if they
can't be, is there any way to suppress the display of the copy numbers for
the metarecords?  No copy number information seems much better than wrong
copy number information, especially when 0 makes these look like hopeless
for holds when the metarecords actually increase the chances that the user
will get a copy of the book faster than if they choose only a single bib
record.

It's possible I'm missing something obvious here, in which case I hope
someone will enlighten me!

--
Elizabeth Thomsen, Member Services Manager
NOBLE: North of Boston Library Exchange
E-mail: et at noblenet.org