[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Workaround for EG's current lack of automatic system generation of authority records?

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 23:07:10 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM, Jason Etheridge <jason at esilibrary.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Yamil Suarez <ysuarez at berklee.edu> wrote:
>> I was speaking with ESI and was told that EG currently does not automatically create "system generated" authority records, and I wondered what workarounds might be used out in the EG community?
>
> Yamil, I may be missing something.  How would one benefit from a stub
> record like that?

The primary use case (IIUC -- Yamil, correct me if I'm wrong) is to
provide a way to prime authority browsing based on all configured
authority-controlled fields.  The benefit is that you have a
theoretically unique data set for browsing a term axis, where bib data
is (of course) duplicated -- IOW, many bibs use a term, but only one
authority record can use a particular term.

However, I'm not personally a big fan of using authority control to
create bib-only browsing axes -- say, for title proper.  I think it
may be better to base bib-only browse on, say, a distillation of facet
data (or something akin to it).  There would be less inter-record
correlation, and therefore fewer moving parts.

As for the authority browse angle, those interested can take a look at
http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=evergreen/equinox.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/acs_NFI
to play the home game.

--
Mike Rylander