[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] testimonials for staff client auto-updates?

Thomas Berezansky tsbere at mvlc.org
Tue Apr 17 12:34:34 EDT 2012

MVLC has been using it with basically no issues on a regular basis for
nearly a year now.

The most important pieces of the puzzle are "build updates for your
first automatic update enabled client" and "make sure your version
numbers go up consistently".

The first is so that partial updates can be built from that initial
update, making updates faster and easier.

The latter we accomplish by using staff client version numbers like
"2.2.0mvlc.#" where we increment the # at the end with each update we
push out. With Evergreen only using the first three numbers normally
now you shouldn't have an issue with using the fourth to indicate your
own updates.

Forced updates (by removing the old folders from /openils/var/web/xul)
work wonderfully, as do non-forced updates (don't remove the old
folders, clients will grab the updates over time instead of right away).

The only issue we have is when we leave too many old updates in
/openils/var/updates/archives, and that is only an issue due to how
long building partial updates for all of them takes. I clean it out
every five or so updates.

Thomas Berezansky
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium