[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holds on multiple editions

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Mon Apr 23 17:50:02 EDT 2012

> Is there a way to place a hold on an item from the staff client in such a
> way that the first one returned fulfills the hold?  We are on version 2.1.

You'll want to look at meta-records and meta-record holds.  To see
examples of meta-records, do an Advanced Search but with the Group
Formats and Editions checkbox checked.  The algorithm that groups such
records together can be tweaked, but I don't have any experience doing
that.

You can place holds on meta-records from the results page for such a
search, but you can also do normal title searches, invoke the place
hold UI and then click the Advanced Hold Options link.  If there are
other records in that record's "meta-record", their formats will be
listed in that selection box labelled Acceptable Alternative Formats.

Incidentally, I'd love to see meta-records exposed through a Other
Formats & Editions tab in the Record Summary, if someone has the itch
and tuits to make that happen.

--
Jason Etheridge
http://evergreen-ils.org