[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Fwd: Acquisitions issues (Sitka)

Sharon Herbert (Project Sitka) sherbert at sitka.bclibraries.ca
Mon Apr 30 18:45:56 EDT 2012

And here's the attachment with our Top 10 list
----- Forwarded message from sherbert at sitka.bclibraries.ca -----
     Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:44:29 -0700
     From: "Sharon Herbert (Project Sitka)" <sherbert at sitka.bclibraries.ca>
  Subject: Acquisitions issues (Sitka)
       To: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org

Thanks Kathy for keeping the great conversation from the conference
going on the list. I hope that the developers won't regret asking us
to make some noise ;) I'm hoping that we can find some areas of
consensus with all of our top issues lists.

I've attached Sitka's top 10 development/bug fix requests, which was
compiled by Jennifer Pringle, our Acquisitions lead for Sitka support;
I shared our top 5 at Megan Maurer's Acquisitions session on Friday.
Our development list is based on the experience of running
Acquisitions live on production for 6 sites, including a large
15-branch system that has been using EG Acquisitions since September.
I've included the Launchpad numbers for the top 5.

As Tara Robertson has already explained, our biggest issues in using
Acquisitions on production are the workflow and very slow response
time around purchase order handling. These two issues are inextricably
linked:

1.Ability to Batch Link Line Items to Invoices – LP #985308
Scenario:
-Library receives a shipments of items from a provider that does not
use EDI. The invoice for this shipment contains 4 items from purchase
order A, 3 items from purchase order B, 12 items from purchase order
C, 7 items from purchase order D and 2 items from purchase order E.
Each of these purchase orders also contain line items still waiting to
be shipped that will appear on a different invoice.
-To create an invoice for these items the user must individually link
each of the 28 line items from their purchase orders to this invoice.

Solution:
Have a function that allows a user select a number of line items on a
purchase order using the tick box and then batch link the items to an
invoice through the main Actions menu. Similar functionality currently
exists for deleting line items, updating funds on line items, and
cancelling line items.

2. Purchase Order and Invoice slowness – LP #985295

Large purchase orders are consistently slow to open.
A very large purchase order of 382 line items (a hotlist from a
vendor) takes over 4 minutes to load. During that time the staff
client stops responding and no tasks can be performed in Evergreen
until the purchase order has fully loaded.
This is particularly a problem when users are linking line items from
a purchase order to an invoice. Line items are linked individually
from a purchase order to an invoice and the invoice opens in the same
tab as the purchase order. Users have to re-open the purchase order
for every line item they wish to link to the invoice.

Large invoices result in an unresponsive script warning. You are able
to continue loading the invoice by clicking Continue.

Finally, a significant issue that hasn't made it into our top 10 list,
but might be low-hanging fruit,  is the extremely small 8 point font
size across Acquisitions. Very challenging for aging eyes when you are
working in Acq all day.

Looking forward to working with other libraries using or planning to
use Acquisitions. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any
questions.

Thanks,
Sharon

--