[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Newsletter / July-August 2012

Amy Terlaga terlaga at biblio.org
Mon Aug 6 13:39:01 EDT 2012

Evergreen Newsletter / July-August 2012
by Amy Terlaga, Bibliomation and other contributors

The Evergreen Website:  The Future is Almost Here

Lori Ayre of the Evergreen Web Team writes:

"We've got the prototype for the new Evergreen-ils.org website started and
people can watch our progress at http://evergreen.galecia.com. The group
working on this is Alexey Lazar (PALS), Stephen Wills (Beyond Print and
Maine Evergreen libraries), Anoop Atre (ESI), Ben Shum (Bibliomation), and
Lori Ayre & Jim Craner (Galecia Group).  Anyone who wants to help out with
the project is encouraged to join the Web Team list
(http://list.evergreen-ils.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/evergreen-web-team)
and let us know.  We'll also be regularly sending out updates and inviting
comments from the community via the general mailing list."

And while the new website is coming into shape, now is a good time to
acknowledge those individuals that have kept the current website going, as
well as those who've maintained the listservs and the various Evergreen
social media sites.  To see a full listing of names, go to
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=website_administration.

Something  for New Evergreen Developers

Thomas Berezansky of MVLC (Merrimack Valley Library Consortium, MA) has
created a document meant for first time developers to get the basics of the
Evergreen system down.  He provides a basic overview of the system, focusing
on three distinct areas that one would develop in.  His document can be
found at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=eg_developer_overview.  Lori
Ayre of Galecia Group has taken Thomas' document and has modified it some:
http://os-ol.org/sites/default/files/EG_Backgrounder_New_Devs.pdf.

Evergreen Development Partnerships

Acquisitions Improvements coming in 2.3:  MassLNC, SCLends, SITKA, and
Bibliomation partnered together on a number of acquisitions enhancements
coming in release 2.3.  These enhancements include:

*EDI Invoices
*EDI Enhanced/Enriched Ordering
*Multiple POs Per Invoice (Manual Invoicing)
*Encumbrances move to new fiscal year even if money is not rolled over
*Block purchase order from activating if there is a line item with zero
copies

The full list of enhancements will be announced with the release of 2.3.

Bibliomation Prepares List of Enhancement Requests:
by Amy Terlaga, Bibliomation

Bibliomation is about to send out to interested developers their list of
approximately 30 enhancement requests, asking for development quotes.  This
list was produced from their member libraries; submissions were received
earlier in the year.  Bibliomation used IdeaTorrent, open source idea
submission and voting software recommended by SITKA, to allow their members
to vote on their enhancement suggestions.  The top vote getters made the
list of thirty, soon to be submitted to Evergreen developers.  Once
Bibliomation receives the quotes, we'll most likely be looking for partners
on some of the work.  Look for future updates on Bibliomation's progress in
upcoming newsletters.

New Git Authors
by Ben Shum, Bibliomation

It's so great to see our development community grow.  In July, we saw
several community members offering their first git patches and having them
added to the core Evergreen code.  We'd like to recognize:

Bob Wicksall, Pioneer Library System - added paging to My Lists area of TPAC
- first commit added to master on July 10

Kathy Lussier, MassLNC - TPAC bug fixes and enhancements - first commit
added to master on July 13

Melissa Lefebvre, Bibliomation - TPAC design and style sheet changes - first
commit added to master on July 17

Steven Chan, Sitka - bug fixes for Acquisitions and staff client - first
commit added to master on July 24.

So great to see their work being shared and looking forward to more from
them and others in the future!

Reports Task Force Update
by Jenny Turner, PALS

The Evergreen Reports Taskforce has suspended meetings for the summer and
will resume with bi-monthly meetings beginning in September.  In the
meantime, remember to make use of the Evergreen Reports mailing list:
<mailto:evergreen-reports at list.evergreen-ils.org>
evergreen-reports at list.evergreen-ils.org.

-

Evergreen Libraries in the News

OHIONET

Bob Neeper of Community Library, OHIONET, writes:

Ohio joined the Evergreen Community in 2012 with 3 libraries currently
'live'.
2 more in the final phase
4 scheduled for early next year

Information on Consortium of Ohio Libraries (COOL) is at
http://info.cool-cat.org/

Migration and support are through Equinox and OHIONET.

OHIONET is a library membership organization (member-funded, 501(c)(3) ) of
academic, public, school and special libraries in Ohio, West Virginia, and
western Pennsylvania.

This is not a state library initiative, but partial match migration funds
were provided to a few libraries.

PALS, Minnesota

Stephen Elfstrand, Executive Director of PALS, writes:

PALS <http://www.mnpals.org/content/evergreen-open-source-ils>  has just
concluded the 2nd test migration and staff training for the Campbell Library
in East Grand Forks <http://www.egf.mn/index.aspx?nid=185> , MN. We are
providing hosting, migration, training and support services. They [went]
live on version  2.2 on Aug 6th.  http://campbell.mnpals.net/eg/opac/home

Balsam Consortium, Maine

Steve Wills has the following two exciting news items:

[On] July 25th, the Balsam Consortium welcomed the Bangor Public School
System, one of the largest school systems in Maine into the Consortium.
They will be our second public school system with 10 libraries spread across
the K12 spectrum.  I hope to get them on board as kids catalog users as we
go forward.

We also moved the Foxcroft Academy, a private boarding college preparatory
school from Koha to Evergreen in early July.  Since they were already on an
open source platform, they were prepared for the open source experience.

Have something to contribute to the Fall Evergreen Newsletter?  Drop me an
email at Terlaga at biblio.org.

Amy Terlaga

Assistant Director, User Services

Bibliomation, Inc.