[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen cataloging with OCLC Connexion client

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Tue Aug 7 11:59:59 EDT 2012

Hi Trisha,

We are a consortium of over 70 public and school libraries, and
provide centralized cataloging for our member libraries on OCLC,
generally work with the Connexion client, doing batch searches and
working offline. We export the records as a .dat file, and upload it
to Evergreen. We set up Record Match Sets to match by OCLC number,
ISBN (020), UPC (024), and Media Publisher Number (028). We try to
keep the files fairly small because we've found that if we try to
load more than 100 bibs at a time, it's very slow. We think it's
because of the ISBN matching, but we need that to overlay brief
vendor records that our libraries load through the acquisitions loader.

Once in a while, we use Z39.50 to import a single record from OCLC to
Evergreen if we want to replace an existing record with a fuller version.

Please let me know if there's anything else you need to know from us.

Mary

At 08:26 PM 8/6/2012, Trisha Cantwell Keene wrote:
>We are an OCLC member library using Connexion client to batch load
>records into our current, soon- to- be- replaced- with- Evergreen, system.
>Would love to hear about other OCLC libraries using Evergreen and
>your cataloging work flow.
>Thank you in advance.
>
>Trisha
>
>--
>Trisha Cantwell Keene
>Associate Director
>Thorndike Library
>109 Eden St.
>Bar Harbor, ME  04609
>
>(207) 801-5661
>(207) 288-2328 Fax
><mailto:tcantwell at coa.edu>tcantwell at coa.edu
>
>"Google can bring you back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can
>bring you back the right one."  The Guardian (London)

Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager
Bibliomation, Inc.
Middlebury, CT