[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Content ownership on web site (was Error accessing demo catalog)

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Aug 9 16:32:11 EDT 2012

Hey Lori!

 > Interesting issue.  It is a wiki and yet it has been the work of Ben
 > Shum thus far and the approach we've been taking on the Web Team is
 > to have content owners (well, people responsible for content areas)
 > so I was feeling more inclined to treat that page as Ben's.

Can you talk a little more about how you and the web team envision
content ownership working? I know it's been a while since I've been able
to attend a web team meeting,
and my memory is a little fuzzy on this topic, but I remember talking
about content ownership early on. At the time, my interpretation was
that it was a way for web team members to improve small pieces of the
web site that were important to them, but I didn't think it meant they
had sole responsibility for a particular wiki page - at least I hope it
didn't since I'm sure there have been times when I've inadvertently
edited someone else's page. I would like to echo Ben's sentiment for
open collaboration on the wiki where anybody with an account can feel
free to add or edit content when they see a change that needs to be
made. I'm hoping a future Evergreen web site will follow a similar
model, primarily because we are all volunteers with limited time to
contribute to the web site. So I thought this e-mail thread might be a
good jumping off point to discuss how content ownership might work on
the web site and perhaps to reaffirm the collaborative nature of the
Evergreen wiki.

There are only a few people who can make high-level changes to the
non-wiki portions of the web site, and I know the web team and others
need to ask for assistance to make those changes because they might not
have the permission or technical knowledge to make those changes
themselves. However, I'm concerned that asking those same people to make
updates that can be done by anyone with a wiki account might be an
imposition on their time.

 > Also, I suck at wiki editing.

Heh, it's not my strong point either, but I've found I can go far just
by copy and pasting the wiki markup that was used by the people who came
before me.

Cheers!

Kathy

--