[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Client 2.3.0 grabbing and not releasing memory

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Mon Dec 3 11:38:58 EST 2012

Our two front desk CIRC  PC's are:
Windows XP-Pro 32bit Core2 Duo E4600, 2.4GHz,  1024MB PC2-5300 SDRAM,  80gb
7200RPM HD
Purchased August 2008
They  worked fine with the previous Evergreen version.

The consortium was upgraded to version 2.3.0 (client also) November 18, 2012
Staff has been complaining they need to reboot the CIRC PC's as they get slow,
stop etc.

Not being able to talk my way out, I started observing the problem.

Watching Windows Task Manager, the Evergreen.exe process is not releasing memory.
At one point it had grabbed over 650mb of ram on our East CIRC

A simple log in /out test showed the client kept grabbing large chunks of ram.

Also learned another COOL library is having the same problem with their XP PC's.

It was suggested to try the next client 2.3.1 which I put on a third PC to test.
This PC was recently rebuilt  and not yet in service.
Running the same log in /our test, produced the same memory grab.

This morning I observed another creeping memory problem in a static situation.

So I ran the same tests on a Windows7 PC for comparison.
PC is i5-650 3.2GHz 4096MB PC3-10600 SDRAM 640GB 7200RPM HD

Simple Log in / out test
22,404k  Opened client login screen
52,272k After login and main screen opened
28,140k After Clicking on X to close main screen
49,448k After Clicking log off
61,412k After log in and main screen opened again
59,024k After Clicking on X to close main screen
59,028k After Clicking log off
71,176k After log in and main screen opened again
68,268k After Clicking on X to close main screen
68,288k After Clicking log off
79,752k After log in and main screen opened again

Simple Static test.
Clicked checkout on tab1
Entered patron card number and clicked submit
Clicked + for new tab and clicked Check In
Clicked + for new tab and clicked Item Status
Made tab2 'Item Check In' active and watched the Task Manager
114,240k at 09:20 AM and started climbing
158,832k at 10:08 AM
126,244k at 10:15 AM Went down since last check
140,060k at 10:24 AM
150,300k at 10:31 AM
154,764k at 10:33 AM
164,732k at 10:40 AM
120,068k at 10:47 AM Went down since last check
153,872k at 11:07 AM

Two main XP CIRC's, during normal check in / out use this morning
West CIRC  East CIRC
326,280k   207,400k   at 10:45 AM
343,720k   258,304k   at 10:56 AM
379,300k   300,676k   at 11:07 AM

Cataloging PC from yesterday (Same specs as Windows 7 PC)
11/30/12 09:44    327,900k
11/30/12 12:16    340,256k
11/30/12 05:21    427,412k

The only solution so far has been to completely exit the client many, many times
during the day.
Our director said Saturday, the East CIRC (Has the most activity) client took so
much ram he had to kill the process.

Suggestions ?

Email Signature

R. W. (Bob) Neeper