[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] "Evergreen in Action" is now available

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Dec 18 09:26:09 EST 2012

We* are happy to announce the publication of a new book about Evergreen:
"Evergreen in Action: So You've Installed Evergreen, Now What?"

If you are a new Evergreen administrator, this book is for you. Learn
about migrating data, importing records, creating circulation and hold
policies, designing your catalog, setting permissions for staff, and
disaster recovery.

The book is available for purchase or for free download at
http://evergreen-ils.org/book. All proceeds go to the Evergreen project
via the Software Freedom Conservancy.

HELP US MAKE IT BETTER! We started writing something, but we need the
help of the community to polish off the chapters and to add content we
couldn't cover in a two-and-a-half day sprint.

PROOFREAD! If you are knowledgeable about a book topic, take some time
to review the chapter and make direct edits and additions to the content.

ADD STUFF! Some topics we didn't have time to cover include
configuration for reports and serial functions, creating search indexes,
and troubleshooting. We need community volunteers to take the lead in
creating those chapters.

EVANGELIZE! Spread the word about "Evergreen in Action" on social
networks, blogs or forums where people are seeking help to get up and
running with Evergreen. Link to http://evergreen-ils.org/book.

Go to
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=books:evergreen_in_action:help
for more ideas on how you can help improve the book. We would love any
help you can give.

* Who are we, by the way? Jim Keenan, Robert Soulliere, Kathy Lussier,
Lyndsey Stratton, and Dan Scott -- all proud members of the
Documentation Interest Group.

Many thanks to the Google Open Source Programs Office for providing food
and accommodations for the Doc Sprint, Adam Hyde of FLOSS Manuals for
teaching us how to sprint, and Allen Gunn of AspirationTech for
facilitating and inspiring our efforts.