[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hold alerts problem

Fiona Borthwick fiona.borthwick at ptfs-europe.com
Tue Dec 18 12:17:00 EST 2012

Hi,

We have a customer who is experiencing regular problems with hold alerts
not appearing and items being routed back to the shelf.  They are using
Evergreen 2.2.2.

This is consistently happening and we cannot find any reason to cause this.

There are 3 main problems:

1)  Generally hold alerts are not being seen at checkin.  Items are
being routed back to the shelf despite there being holds. Furthermore
these same items are being allowed to be checked out and there is NO
warning that the item cannot be issued due to holds.

2)  We can clearly see holds placed at Title level and they are visible
via the View Holds screen.  This can often look peculiar too as the
holds queue seems to run from (example) 1 - 17 and then start again at
number 42.  Once the 17th hold had been filled, Evergreen sent the items
back to the shelves as it didn't seem to think that there were any other
holds.

3)  Newly added items are not being trapped for holds.  This is despite
having the checkin modifiers correctly set and processing the items.

The hold_targeter.pl script is running regularly.

The 'Retarget Local Holds' and 'Retarget Local Statuses' flags are
enabled in the Checkin Modifiers.

There are no specific holds values set in the Library Settings Editor.
The only populated settings are as follows:

-- Block Renewal of Items Needed for Holds (set to TRUE for the consortium)
-- Default Hold Shelf Expire Interval (set to different times per system)
--  Expire Alert Interval (system setting)
--  Expire Interval (system setting)
-- FIFO (set to TRUE for consortium)

As you can imagine this is causing major problems for our customer. We
have spent considerable periods of time investigating the problem and
testing different scenarios with hold policies but the alerts are simply
not appearing when using the Checkin (F2) screen.

Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?

Thanks,
Fiona

--
Fiona Borthwick
Customer Services Consultant, PTFS Europe Limited

+44 (0) 800 756 6803  (phone)
+44 (0) 7540 768230  (mobile)
+44 (0) 800 756 6384 (fax)
fiona.borthwick at ptfs-europe.com