[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] MARC batch edit for fixed length fields?

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 14:17:52 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Janet McGowan
<janet.mcgowan at ptfs-europe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been using the MARC batch edit function fine for overlaying variable
> tag data, but I wonder if it should be possible to use it for batch editing
> specific positions in control data - in fields like the LDR or 008?
> For example I have been trying to change a code in the character position 23
> of the 008 (Form of item) from one code to another. I've been able to
> overlay the whole 008 by entering spaces to identify the position, but this
> overwrites the whole string. Could anyone advise me if there is there a
> syntax that I could use in the MARC Data part of the rule to identify the
> position to be changed?

That's not there currently, but it would be helpful to brainstorm the
syntax.  How about, in subfield 'f' for fixed-field:

  008,23,1,a

That breaks down to "in controlfield 008, starting at position 23
(counting from 0), replace 1 character with 'a'".  What isn't covered
here is the optional match-test regexp that 'add' and 'replace' rules
have.  Would there be a strong need for that?

--
Mike Rylander