[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Batch MARC editing in Evergreen 2.2

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Feb 9 17:51:02 EST 2012

I've recently started batch editing with some test jobs and would comment:

* I don't think there's a limit to number of records, only depending upon the job and volume, it could be considerably faster working directly with database via SQL.   I'm currently running a delete MARC 9xx tag job on our test environment with over 200K+ records targetted via a csv file. After a bit of delay (looked like nothing was happening at first with the Batch Edit screen), it's now doing its thing happily. I'm pretty certain my particular replace would be much faster by sql, but I'm trying to use the Batch editor more to get a handle on how it can be best used.

* Re: subfield... I've had good success in my tests working at the subfield level (e.g. deleting specific subfield/data in a given tag, matching this or that text string, etc.) but I'm not sure about your particular add/append scenario.

Oddly enough, I completely forgot about this new feature in 2.1, so only "re-discovered" it recently. Kind of like, "hey, where'd that menu option come from?"

George
George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan

________________________________

From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Tim Spindler
Sent: February 9, 2012 12:09
To: mllewell at biblio.org; Evergreen Discussion Group
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Batch MARC editing in Evergreen 2.2

Mary,

I'm just starting to look at this and can I add another question?  Is there  a limit on the number of records batch edit can handle?

Tim

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Mary Llewellyn <mllewell at biblio.org> wrote:

	Hi all,

	Yesterday I tried out MARC batch editing in our test version of Evergreen 2.2, and I have a question. (What else is new?)

	Is there a way to append subfields to an existing tag without replacing the entire tag? We use subfield 9 in tag 856 for our libraries that subscribe to Overdrive, and when a new library joins, I'd like to be able to add a new subfield 9 to a batch of records for them. So far, my attempts have only wiped the entire 856, creating it anew with just the subfields 9. Can the batch editor work at just the subfield level, or is it intended to work only on an entire tag?

	Thanks,

	Mary

	Mary Llewellyn

	Database Manager

	Bibliomation, Inc.

	Middlebury, CT

	mllewell at biblio.org

--
Tim Spindler
tjspindler at gmail.com

P   Go Green - Save a tree! Please don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary.