[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] search for something other than barcode in checkout screen

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Tue Feb 28 10:25:00 EST 2012

> for my part, for better or worse, I use live items that i know are currently
> not checked out.  In my rural library setting this tends to be safe since I
> choose titles that have low circ stats.  I do, however run the risk that a
> parton will try and check out my copy of "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle
> Maintenance" while I'm using it for testing.  While I  use this technique
> for my poor library consortium, I am aware it is not a "Best Practice" in IT
> development.  What does your development environment look like?

If I'm testing on a live production system, I tend to go with madeup
pre-cat items first, with unique barcodes like esi-jason-madeup1.  No
chance of accidental interactions there.  But pre-cats sometimes don't
trigger the same bugs as real items, and in those cases I'll add an
item like esi-jason-test1 to a real bib record, but make sure it has
the OPAC Visible and Holdable flags set to No.  And then I'll delete
them later.

--
Jason Etheridge
http://evergreen-ils.org