[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Loader overlay question

Mary Llewellyn mllewell at biblio.org
Fri Jan 6 11:27:46 EST 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to replace brief vendor acq records with full OCLC records, and
I'm looking for the most efficient way.

When I mark a single record for overlay and import an OCLC bib through
Z39.50, the TCN is changed from the vendor's ID number to the OCLC number.
This is what I want, but it's a slow process, working one bib at a time.

I've tried importing a bib through Vandelay, matching on the 901 c, but
because the loader spec says to preserve the 901, I don't get the OCLC
number in 901 a, and the TCN doesn't get changed.

If I don't specify to match on 901 c and try loading the record without an
overlay profile, it either doesn't match/overlay the existing record, or if
I check the box for importing non-overlaying bibs, it will load as a
duplicate record. ISBN is set as an identifier, but doesn't seem to function
for overlaying bibs.

Is there a way to use Vandelay to match/overlay the bib and get the TCN to
change as it does with a Z39.50 overlay? We absolutely want the OCLC number
to be the TCN once the overlay is done. And I'd like to be able to load a
batch of records so my entire day isn't taken up with overlaying bibs.

Thank you,

Mary

Mary Llewellyn
Database Manager