[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] using Evergreen and Summon

Gordana Vitez gvitez at niagaracollege.ca
Mon Jan 9 13:36:26 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

I just saw Jason's suggestion of the d for deleted in the leader. I
will forward this on.

Thanks so much for all your help! Always greatly appreciated.

Gordana

>>> "Gordana Vitez" <gvitez at niagaracollege.ca> 1/9/2012 1:28 PM >>>
Hi George,

Right now, we are sending our deletes in nightly updates. The problem
is that the deletes aren't registering in Summon.

For example, search in Summon on Social interest challenge to mankind,
limit to items in the library catalogue:

http://niagaracollege.summon.serialssolutions.com/search?s.cmd=addTextFilter%28SourceType\:\%28%22Library+Catalog%22\%29%29&s.pn=1&s.q=social+interest+challenge+to+mankind

Title comes up and when you click on the link, it brings you to a bib
record in Evergreen without holdings. If you try to do the same
search,
directly in Evergreen, there are zero hits.

http://niagaracollege.niagaraevergreen.ca/opac/en-CA/skin/nc/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=social%20interest%20challenge%20mankind&ft=&l=2&d=1&f=&ol=2

So it leads me to believe one of 2 things, that our uploads aren't
working properly or that something is being retained, somewhere.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Gordana

>>> "Duimovich, George" <George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca> 1/9/2012
12:20 PM >>>
Hello Gordana,

There are 'hooks' to do this - so you can adjust your method of
dumping
MARC for Summons to *exclude* records where deleted = 'true'  - this
flag is set in the biblio.record_entry table.

How is Summons consuming your MARC records? I assume that Summons is
using the more common approach of indexing time based dumps (daily,
weekly, etc.) from the database, correct? Or are they crawling the
catalogue using unapi?

If if they're just indexing regular dumps, then you can set up (or
customize) your script to generate a file with record id's from the
database that excludes those bib id's where deleted = 'true'. This
this
file in turn can can be passed to the "marc_export" script for
generating the dump that Summons will index.  You can also extend this
approach to pass Summons records that have recently been deleted and /
or modified if you want to avoid Summons having to re-index the entire
database every night.

So it looks as if you'll have to do a minor adjustment to your process
for extracting MARC records to use those flags (plus any others you'd
like to add) to ensure Summons is just indexing what you want it to

Hope that helps.

george
George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan