[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Copy status for reference books?

Linda Jansova skolkova at chello.cz
Mon Jan 16 14:06:43 EST 2012

Hi,

We have come across a probably more or less country-specific issue:

In Jabok Library, reference books (i.e., books which cannot be checked
out and can only be read in the library) don't share the same copy
location (as often, though probably not always, do reference books in US
libraries). Rather, the books in Jabok Library are dispersed throughout
the library. A typical example would five copies of the book - four of
them could be checked out and one of them could not be. All five copies
would be physically located on the very same shelf - distinguished by a
spine label so that the user immediately sees whether he or she is able
to check out the particular copy.

When it comes to Evergreen (we are currently using version 2.0.9), would
you recommend creating a new copy status (in Server Administration ->
Copy statuses) entitled (in English) say "Reference" which would be
visible in the OPAC and one could not place holds on it? What we need is
to make it more visible for the user to see whether a particular copy is
a "usual" copy which could be checked out whether it is a reference
book... In case we use the copy status as indicated, we (and the users
of course) can conveniently see the status below the record of the title...

Or perhaps an entirely different solution would be better in this case?

Any advice on this matter is appreciated...

Linda