[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Question about putting books on display

Brian Herzog bherzog at mvlc.org
Tue Jan 17 16:41:59 EST 2012

I'm curious how other Evergreen libraries handle marking books that
are on display.  For us, "Display" is a copy location that we manually
mark for books on display, and then manually switch back to their real
copy location when the books come off display.

The problem is that we miss a lot of "Display" books when they get
returned, and so they just go back on the normal shelves instead of
back on display.  Pretty soon, the catalog no longer matches our
shelves, which is a problem.  We've tried to clean things up a bit
using Copy Buckets, but there are always items that slip through the
cracks and produce inaccuracies.

Our previous ILS (SirsiDynix Horizon) had a Display item status,
instead of copy location.  The benefit to that method was that, once a
book marked "Display" was returned, the system automatically removed
the "Display" designation so that it could be shelved and the catalog
would be accurate.

If you have any best practices or a solution to this, I would really
appreciate hearing them.  Thanks.

Brian Herzog
Head of Reference
Chelmsford Public Library
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC)