[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] When the Printer Settings Editor stops working

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Jan 25 10:48:38 EST 2012

> In cases where it doesn’t, “Set Default Printer and Print Test Page”
> responds and prints a test page to the correct printer. And the test page
> will follow the page settings set in the Printer Settings Editor. BUT in
> Check Out and Check In, it will ignore the Printer Settings Editor and
> receipts will print to the holds pull list, default printer and other
> bizarre behavior. And though one can select the printer prompt option, that
> can result in an unusable, 8 ½ inch receipt with a ½ inch margin.

George, there's a feature where you can tie specific printers to
specific printing contexts: Default, Receipt, Label, Mail, and
Offline.  These show up at the top of the Printer Settings Editor in
newer versions of EG.  If they're not used, all contexts will default
to the printer that's configured under the Default context, but once
you configure one of the other specific contexts, you have to remember
to reconfigure it when needed.  I suspect your problem workstations
have set up specific printers for these contexts.

Incidentally, there's an improvement on this concept in the master
version of EG, where you can force specific printer contexts for
specific receipt templates in the Receipt Template Editor.  So for
example,  you can force Hold Slips to use the printer configured for
the Receipt context instead of the Default context.

--
Jason Etheridge