[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Relevance ranking

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Jan 25 11:47:19 EST 2012

Hi all,

Can anyone provide some insight as to how we might be able to make some
tweaks to the relevance ranking using the new rank_cd() method? We have
noticed an issue in one of our systems with 2.2 alpha1 where brief bib
records tend to appear first in a list of search results. After reading
through the documentation in the opensrf.xml file (BTW - I love the level of
documentation that is provided here!), I removed #CD_documentLength from the
list of default CD modifiers so that it now reads:

<default_CD_modifiers>#CD_meanHarmonic
#CD_uniqueWords</default_CD_modifiers>

However, those brief bib records still keep floating to the top of search
results. I understand why you might want to reduce the relevancy for longer
documents when you are doing full-text searches, but I'm not sure the same
reasoning should be applied when searching metadata in MARC records.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems with brief bib records?  Has
anyone made successful tweaks to the relevance ranking that they would be
willing to share with the list?

Thank you!
Kathy

Kathy Lussier