[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] How do you handle deposit collections?

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Thu Jun 7 09:04:41 EDT 2012

One of the things we wanted to do when we developed Evergreen was to give
libraries better options around deposit collections. Under our vendor
based ILS, libraries had to use a prescribed list of types that became our
circ modifiers and MARC Types. One of those was DEPOSIT. PINES libraries
wanted to be able to pull stats on what format the deposit item was as
well as that it was a deposit item. In the old ILS they couldn't do this,
so the developers conceived the idea of a deposit flag that was separate
from the circ mod and MARC Type yet could have circ policy implications as
well. Notably those items with a deposit flag of yes could not be held
outside the lib system. With the change in how circulation policies are
administered in more recent versions of Evergreen, that flag was taken out
of consideration and our libraries cannot manage their deposit collections
in their customary manner. As you can imagine, they are not happy.

We may open a bug report or consider other development answers; but, as we
contemplate how we would like to approach a solution we are wondering how
other libraries handle deposit collections.  Do your deposit collections
circulate differently than other items, particularly with holds? Do you
assign a circ modifier? If so, what about stats for formats?

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy

PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager

Georgia Public Library Service,

A Unit of the University System of Georgia

1800 Century Place, Suite 150

Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128

404.235-7201, fax