[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Fulfillment Prioritization

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Mon Mar 12 12:04:24 EDT 2012

Costs incurred for "useless" transits (a good working term) for PINES
libraries would include staff time in processing the transit as well as
the customer service problems increased time in delivery could cause.
However, developing a seamless (to frontline staff) way to maximize the
number of local items fulfilling local holds while minimizing useless
transits caused by that, would go a long way toward minimizing the staff
and patron customer service problems caused by any useless transits. I
will say that frontline staff get really aggrieved when they have to deal
with "useless" transits -- which they would also define as a transit that
occurs from another library when the title is on their shelf.

Having a way to trap that local item when it was returned, even though
there already is an item in transit to fill it ..... I'm not sure how that
would be seen by frontline staff. It would make the patron happier since
presumably they would get the item faster. But it still might be seen as
an increased work burden by staff because they have to process that
"useless" transit. What they want (and I argue against) is for no outside
system item to be transited as long as there is a local item that could
fulfill the hold -- even if that local item is checked out. To me, that
would really increase patron wait time since the nonlocal transited item
could arrive before the local item is returned.

I would not want to see my misunderstanding of Thomas's proposal -- an
item from Library A arriving at library B being immediately re-transited
back to Library A for a local patron hold there, leaving the patron at
library B without the requested item until another could arrive to replace
it. The costs in staff time and bad customer service that would result
from that scenario wouldn't, in my opinion, be made up in the advantage of
more local items filling local holds. Luckily, I was mistaken in what he
is proposing.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service,
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
404.235-7128
404.235-7201, fax