[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Bar Code Readers, ISBN, and Amazon

G. T. Stresen-Reuter tedmasterweb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:02:15 EDT 2012

Hi,

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere but I can't find what I'm looking for (read the FAQs, searched the list) and hope someone can help. Part of the problem is I'm not sure what to search for...

I'm the IT guy at a small school in the Canary Islands. I'm trying to find a new ILS for our tiny library and looking at Evergreen.

Personally I own a book cataloging system (Delicious Library 2) that can read the ISBN number via my built-in laptop camera, look up the book on Amazon.com, and fill in the database automagically. It's a wonderful system and I'm wondering if anything like that exist for Evergreen (even if it means buying an external bar code reader).

I've seen references to Z39.50 but it's my impression that that's not exactly the same thing.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Ted Stresen-Reuter
http://tedmasterweb.com