[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] GSOC[2012] Some quesion regarding C-bsed stored procedures

dsy dsy88 at sina.com
Sun Mar 25 23:01:04 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

         I'm a graduate student in Peking University, China. My research
direction is Information Retrieve and Extraction and I have about 8 years
programming experience in C. I intend to apply for this year's GSOC on
evergreen. The last two ideas interests me and I think it suits me most.

         To be honest, I have not used evergreen before I see GSOC pages. So
I'm not quite sure about the idea. I'm looking for your help to clarify some
details and understand the whole project.

         The first idea about translate certain serach-related SQL query
components to C-based stored procedures. Does this means some of the
components in full-text searching are working independently which leads to a
query will be separated into many SQL query to the database?

The second idea about convert PL/Perl-based PostgreSQL stored procedures to
PL/SQL or PL/C. As I see the problem statements, I think this idea relates
to the first one. Is this implies we have implemented some PL/Perl based
stored procedures to solve the first one and now we need to use some faster
language to improve its performance?

As far as I see, the work I need to do is writing some C based string
generator to generate SQL query to improve the query performance of the
system. Is my understanding correct? I don't quite sure about the bottleneck
faced in the project, is there any reference for me to quickly understand
the bottleneck and locate in the code? Or is there any test data shows where
the bottleneck is and how bad it is?

I have subscribed to the mail list and downloaded the virtual image to build
a dev environment quickly. And I'm reading the doc in evergreen pages and
downloading the mail archives. Is there any place I need to see?

Looking forward to your advice!

         Thank you!

Best Regards,

Swenyu Duan