[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Can Evergreen do this

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Wed Mar 28 13:48:11 EDT 2012

Hello Jim,

Both systems are adept and flexible enough to manage a wide variety of collections, small and large, including "special collections."

I don't want to discourage you from looking at Koha or Evergreen, but both systems would require your staff / volunteers to work in MARC21-based environment, which IMHO may be a big barrier for a small volunteer-driven library looking at adopting a Koha or EG solution.

FWIW, my former boss is using this system in her church's library: www.resourcemate.com. It's not MARC21 compliant, etc., but she indicated good experience with it, especially given the number of non-librarian (and non-techie) volunteers engaged in managing, supporting their library.

Good luck with your search.

George
George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Jim Hall
Sent: March 28, 2012 11:39
To: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Can Evergreen do this

At the moment I am researching for my church. Our library (small) is looking for different software. Evergreen and Koha would both work well. Additionally, our Heritage Committee is looking for a database for our historical material. Our congregation is 175 years old, that's a lot of "stuff"! What the committee wants to know is if Evergreen has a "Special Collections" kind of usage? If so, could we use Evergreen for both projects?

I'm sorry to be so vague, but I don't know what questions I need to ask. If we can have a dialog, I may be able to get more specific.

Thank You