[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Can Evergreen do this

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed Mar 28 15:05:30 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mar 28, 2012, at 1:53 PM, Jason Etheridge wrote:
>> I don't want to discourage you from looking at Koha or Evergreen, but both systems would require your staff / volunteers to work in MARC21-based environment, which IMHO may be a big barrier for a small volunteer-driven library looking at adopting a Koha or EG solution.
>
> Though I believe with Koha the record editor has labelled fields, so
> you could stick with Title and Author for simplistic cataloging (or
> with Evergreen, just remember 245 = title and 100 = author).  I know
> that would horrify a cataloger versed in MARC, though, and you'd be
> losing subject headings, record types, etc.

In addition, Koha's MARC framework system would allow setting up a very minimal template for entering bibs so that volunteers don't have to even see anything other than (say) title and author.  Evergreen's record template system can also be used for setting up minimal templates, although they expose a bit more of the MARC.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton