[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Can Evergreen do this

Sally Fortin sfortin at esilibrary.com
Thu Mar 29 14:27:25 EDT 2012

Hi Jim,

Since your collection contains photos and artifacts in addition to
traditional books, you may want to look into open-source collections
management software.   This software is often utilized by museums to
catalog a wide range of objects, and they support a variety of metadata
standards.   This software might give you more precise cataloging for
your collections.  My ESI colleague, Angela Kilsdonk, mentioned a couple
of products that you might want to explore:

CollectiveAccess <http://www.collectiveaccess.org/>
CollectionSpace <http://www.collectionspace.org/>

If you decide to use Evergreen or Koha, then you would be using MARC
records to describe your objects and books.   As Galen and Jason
mentioned, you could simplify the MARC record so that your description
is very basic, which could make cataloging simple for your staff.  You
may want to look at the demos for each and try to catalog a few items
from your collection.  That might give you a sense of how they work and
if they would meet the needs of your collection and your staff.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Sally

--