[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Should we have a systems administrators list?

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Wed May 2 08:01:41 EDT 2012

Good morning all,

I think rather than starting with a mailing list that we might want to start with a meeting.

This topic has spawned a great discussion and I think there are very valid points on either side of whether or not to create a mailing list.  The larger takeaway for me here is that we've identified a group of interested and committed Evergreen folks who would like some sort of dedicated discussion space to ask questions, air issues, and otherwise share information.  As one who has co-led the System Administration Interest Group meeting for the last two conferences, I can see that there's a lot of interest from people with varying skillsets who want to learn more about how to administer Evergreen at different levels  - consortial, system, branch - just like the software works.  There were roughly 40 people who attended the "Local Sys Admin" breakout session, for example, and I feel like we only scratched the surface of what people were hoping we'd cover in that limited amount of time.

So I'd like to propose a virtual meeting of people interested in Evergreen sys admin issues where we can discuss the best way to address these newfound needs.  My assumption is that we could meet in the #evergreen IRC channel sometime in the next few weeks (it will have to be May 14 or after for me to be able to attend).  I've created a Doodle poll where you can indicate your interest/availability:

http://doodle.com/q4x47f86nhhpxar3

If there is enough interest, I'll go ahead and put the meeting on the community calendar:

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=calendar:start

I welcome your feedback for this idea.  If people would rather approach this differently, I'm completely open to alternatives.

Thanks,

Chris