[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] State of the map of Evergreen libraries?

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed May 9 14:53:41 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 02:29:43PM -0400, Tony Bandy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At the risk of being the cause of too much email in folk's inboxes, could
> COOL be added as well (server maintained @OHIONET in Col. Ohio, several
> libraries around the state)?  We're two libraries strong and counting, with
> 8 in the consortium by next year.  Here's our catalog:  http://cool-cat.org
> Here's our consortial map:  http://info.cool-cat.org/?page_id=13

I don't think it's too much email yet :) There are probably a couple of
things we want to address in the near future...

1) Process for adding Evergreen libraries to the map. Maybe updating
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen_libraries could
/ should be step one (only a wiki account is required!), but we don't
have coordinates there currently, just a rough location field. Then
perhaps map updaters could follow the revisions to that page and update
a centralized KML file accordingly.

In passing, I will also note that a lot of the info appears to be out of
date on that wiki page - for example, Conifer has about twice as many
libraries and is running on much newer versions of the software than is
listed; maybe we can tie updating this info into conference
registration, or something like that, so at least there's a chance that
it will be updated on an annual basis.

2) Handling consortia vs. individual libraries. Do we want to try to
plot each library in a given consortia on the map, or just one entry for
a given consortia? I think I would prefer to see one entry per library,
as the full might of PINES' nearly 300 libraries would stand out, or
Conifer's > 1000km stretch from Windsor to Thunder Bay.

3) Canonical location for the map data; Jason Etheridge has uploaded a
copy of Bob Molyneux's KML file to the Evergreen Website git repository
(but maybe the "random" evergreen repo would be a better spot on a
going-forward basis? but then again git is a significant hurdle for
many), I suspect Ben is currently editing his copy live for now, Jeff
Godin thought maybe an online spreadsheet would be easier for people to
contribute to, there's also the possibility of adding coordinates to the
wiki page...

It's such a deceptively simple project, with a strong emphasis on
"deceipt". Many thanks in retrospect to all of Bob Molyneux's effort in
having kept this up to date in the past!