[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] State of the map of Evergreen libraries?

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Wed May 9 15:44:54 EDT 2012

> 1) Process for adding Evergreen libraries to the map. Maybe updating
> http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen_libraries could
> / should be step one (only a wiki account is required!), but we don't
> have coordinates there currently, just a rough location field. Then
> perhaps map updaters could follow the revisions to that page and update
> a centralized KML file accordingly.

I like the idea of crowd-sourcing the information by having each institution be responsible for updating their information.  The simpler this process is, the better.  Coordinates are not hard to come by, as long as there is address information.  So, I think the "location" field should be changed to official address.  Then we can produce coordinates from that.  I would also like to see EG version and perhaps server OS as separate fields.

I would also suggest having one person designated as the "owner" for the map process (thinking in ITIL terms). This owner would be responsible for maintaining current information and producing the map in some agreed format and schedule.  The owner does not have to be personally doing all the work, just in charge of the process.  Call for volunteers, or is there someone who already fits this role?  If no, I would volunteer.

> 2) Handling consortia vs. individual libraries. Do we want to try to
> plot each library in a given consortia on the map, or just one entry for
> a given consortia? I think I would prefer to see one entry per library,
> as the full might of PINES' nearly 300 libraries would stand out, or
> Conifer's > 1000km stretch from Windsor to Thunder Bay.

Thematic maps usually focus on a specific subject area.  I would say that the geographic distribution of "evergreen libraries" is a separate subject from consortia, so let's focus on individual libraries.  We would probably need a different type of map for consortia information - location of central office without any additional information about a consortium does not really convey a lot of interesting information.

Question: Would it be correct to say that consortia are usually tied to a administrative/political division boundaries? States, provinces, counties, cities, etc?

> 3) Canonical location for the map data; Jason Etheridge has uploaded a
> copy of Bob Molyneux's KML file to the Evergreen Website git repository
> (but maybe the "random" evergreen repo would be a better spot on a
> going-forward basis? but then again git is a significant hurdle for
> many), I suspect Ben is currently editing his copy live for now, Jeff
> Godin thought maybe an online spreadsheet would be easier for people to
> contribute to, there's also the possibility of adding coordinates to the
> wiki page...

Simpler = better.  The wiki sounds like a good place to collect information initially, low entry barrier.  Perhaps at a certain point we could put out a call on the list for libraries to review/update their information?  If/before that happens, I think the designated map process owner needs to clean up the formatting of the maps page.  Again, call for volunteers, or is there someone who already fits this role?  If no, I would volunteer.

Alexey Lazar
PALS
Information System Developer and Integrator
507-389-2907
http://www.mnpals.org/