[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Recalling Circulating Items in 2.2

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Wed May 16 22:34:14 EDT 2012

Sally:

Looking at the logic in
Open-ILS/src/perlmods/lib/OpenILS/Application/Storage/Publisher/action.pm,
the recall won't be triggered until the hold targeter runs. Did you
run the hold targeter after placing your hold?

Also, once the recall is triggered, a circ.recall.target event will be
generated, which in turn will generate an "Item Recall Email Notice"
(if enabled).

The relevant commit is c403d6bb54 and the (in my opinion fairly
carefully crafted for the purposes of documentation) commit message
was:

    Initial support for recall of items triggered by placing a hold

    In academic libraries, it is common for groups like faculty and graduate
    students to have extended loan periods (for example, 120 days), while
    others have more common loan periods such as 3 weeks. In these environments,
    it is desirable to have a hold placed on an item that has been loaned out
    for an extended period to trigger a "recall": truncating the loan period,
    setting available renewals to 0, optionally changing the fines associated
    with overdues for the new due date, and notifying the current patron of
    the recall.

    New actor.org_unit_setting entries and hold targeting logic enable
libraries to
    control whether a hold will trigger a recall of a circulating item
as follows:

      * "Recalls: Circulation duration that triggers a recall" (recall
threshold)
         is specified as an interval (for example, "21 days"); any items with a
         loan duration of less that this interval will not be considered for a
         recall
      * "Recalls: Truncated loan period" (return interval) is specified as an
         interval (for example, "7 days"), such that the user who currently
         has the item checked out will get the greater of either the recall
         threshold, or the return interval.
      * "Recalls: An array of fine amount, fine interval, and maximum fine"
         is an optional setting that applied the new fine rules to the current
         circulation period.

    When a hold is placed and no available copies are found by the
hold targeter,
    the recall logic checks to see if the recall threshold and return interval
    settings are set; if so, then the hold targeter checks the currently
    checked-out copies to determine if any of the currently circulating items at
    the designated pickup library have a loan duration longer than the recall
    threshold. If so, then the eligible item with the nearest due date will be
    recalled.

Dan