[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] This week in development

Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley lebbeous at esilibrary.com
Fri May 18 14:12:37 EDT 2012

Hi all,

As part of an effort keep the community in general informed of what we
developers are doing in our caves/silos/dungeons, I'm taking it upon
myself to broadcast updates like the following every Friday.

This one is a bit hurried and off the top of my head, but in general I
will cover releases, development work, and dev-related policy news. In
the future, I'll start earlier in the week and poke my fellow developers
for input.

I'm aiming for a digest format that's brief enough to be useful for the
broadest possible audience.

Releases:
---------
Monday: 2.0.11 released:
http://evergreen.sigio.com/2012/05/evergreen-2011-release-announcement_15.html

Tuesday: 2.2 rc1 released: http://evergreen-ils.org/blog/?p=769

Biggish development news I know of:
-----------------------------------
The developers in the community are discussing what the Evergreen
release schedule should look like long term.  There is broad concensus
that major releases should start happening every March and September, so
that's faster than they've been coming out recently.  With the current
numbering scheme, major releases are those where the middle part of the
version number changes.  2.1, 2.2, etc.

The number itself is under discussion as well.  That's less settled,
last time I looked.  After 2.2.0, whether the next major release will be
2.3, 3.0 or something with a date-based name like 12.09 remains to be
determined.  In any case, we hope to make it happen by September 2012.

Bill Erickson is serving as the release manager for the next major release.

Thomas Berezansky has a feature branch that's ready or nearly ready for
acceptance that allows a staff client to be used with current versions
of XULRunner.  The current stable version of XULRunner is now 12.0. Once
we can drum up a little more testing, Thomas' feature will be in master
and will be part of the 2.3 (or whatever it gets numbered) Evergreen
release.

Dan Scott may have found a way to significantly improve search speed for
broad search terms.  There's a recent commit in master about this,
although there are reportedly issues making the new technique work
alongside some advanced (but necessary) search features.

Equinox announced upcoming development on a link checker for NRCan.

Work on more added content from 3rd party providers (Syndetics, etc) in
the new Template Toolkit OPAC is happening.

Lots of serials and acq bug reports are rolling in on Launchpad, which
is excellent, as we know there are issues out there, but concrete bug
reports help the developers find solutions.

Thanks!
--
Lebbeous Fogle-Weekley