[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Daily Overdue Fines

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed May 30 10:43:47 EDT 2012

Hi Joan,

On 05/30/2012 09:04 AM, Joan Kranich wrote:
> We have an item that was overdue and checked in on May 29^th . It is in
> transit back to its owning library. The daily fine continued to accrue
> for today, May 30^th .
>
> Is there a setting that will cause the recurring fine to continue to
> accrue until the item is check in at its owning library?

This isn't a setting -- once a loan is checked in, it's meant to stop
accruing overdue fines.

After taking a look at your system, I think the problem is due to a
timing issue where the initial fine generator run had grabbed a list of
overdue loans and spent (at least) all day yesterday and into this
morning calculating overdue fines.  However, in the particular run mode
that your fine generator was using at the time, it goes strictly by that
initial list of overdue loans, and doesn't check to ensure that the loan
hasn't been returned.

I've opened a ticket for one of our support analysts to work with you to
identify and deal with the extra fines.

As a general note to other Evergreen users, I think this sort of issue
now amounts to a reason to consider running the fine generator in
parallel mode with at least two processes -- even if you don't need to
do that for performance reasons, running it this way happens to ensure
that if an overdue loan is checked in while the fine generator is
running, it will be rather less likely to accrue extraneous days of fines.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton