[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Library Communications Framework

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Mon Nov 19 17:12:29 EST 2012

I think instead of inviting BIC to use Evergreen, it would be more fruitful
for we, US Libraries, build on the work they've done to look beyond those
many protocols (from among the "yet another" you mention) that a) are
implemented completely differently across systems) and b) are limited in
the functionality they support and c) are built around one-at-a-time
barcode technology.

And, I'm pretty sure that Evergreen, to the extent it supports RFID-enabled
transactions, suffers from some of the same foibles:  subject to
the idiosyncrasies of each RFID vendor's implementation of SIP2, limited in
its functionality, and built for one-at-a-time processing.  So, I'm not
sure using Evergreen as a reference platform makes much sense.  But perhaps
I'm wrong about my above statements or I don't really understand what
offering to be a reference platform really means.

My objective is to get US libraries on board with the Library Communication
Framework as a way to get an immediate, as well as a long term return on
our investment. And I think that would mean asking developers and RFID
vendors (e.g. Equinox and PV Supa) to at least look at the document and see
if there is any reason NOT to use it for *new* developments.  I believe it
may provide a very good starting point for developing new functionality
beyond what is currently accomplished through SIP2.

Lori