[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Library Communications Framework

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Mon Nov 19 18:22:52 EST 2012

Dan,

Thanks for the clarification. But, isn't suggesting BIC develop modules for
Evergreen like asking NISO to write the SIP3 interface for Evergreen?
 Maybe that is how something like this is done but I do know that there has
already been one implementation of the LCF (the work was done by
Bibliotheca and Axiell I believe) so perhaps that pilot project is what you
mean by an implementation platform?

Anyway, the point is that BIC isn't in a position to do the development
work.  The work will need to be done by our Evergreen developers or
developers we libraries hire to do it in cooperation with Evergreen
developers.

My feeling is that if there is going to be any new development work done on
Evergreen that is related to RFID functionality, we should be looking at
what has already been done elsewhere and doing our best to support other
international efforts to standardize these communications.  From what I can
see, BIC's LCF is the only game in town that is specifically designed for
RFID....specifically ISO 28560-2 systems like ours.

It's great that PV Supa is supporting this development.  I'd just like to
be sure that they are supporting code that will work for RFID vendors
besides PV Supa.  That means code written that follows the LCF (unless you
know of something better) without requiring the next RFID vendor to tweak
their software to accommodate the unique (dare I say proprietary?) approach
that PV Supa may choose to take.

Lori