[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Importing from ISBN

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Thu Oct 11 10:31:14 EDT 2012

ISBNs are not matching points. Publishers re-use the all the time, for
example (this is a particular problem with children's nonfiction series
publishers). You may reach a point where they will no longer tally with
the item in hand. Also, older books will not have ISBNs, so depending on
the overall collection in your library, you may find that ISBNs are not
dependable.

Elaine

________________________________

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128