[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] could Chef be used to install and maintain Evergreen?

James Fournie james.fournie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 18:41:54 EDT 2012

I am sure you're not the only one so I hope maybe this will help:

Puppet and Chef are configuration management systems, both are written
in Ruby.  They allow you to define "rules" for setting
up/configuring/provisioning a system -- Puppet calls these "modules"
whereas Chef calls them "cookbooks".  Puppet modules use a custom
language to define how to set things up, whereas Chef cookbooks just
use pure Ruby.  Both of them are designed with having many different
servers with different roles (web, db) in multiple environments
(production, dev).

Vagrant is a tool which can use Puppet or Chef.  It allows you to
dynamically create a virtual machine for development, basically you
type a command and it automatically creates a VM using VirtualBox and
then uses Puppet or Chef to automatically install and set up whatever
software, say Evergreen, plus whatever development tools or
what-have-you that you may need.

~James