[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Total newbie would like some advice!

Andy Helten andy.helten at pixius.net
Fri Sep 14 17:35:47 EDT 2012

We are also a small parochial school, K-8, with about 120 students.

I originally chose Evergreen for similar reasons to what you list: it
appeared to be popular, appeared to be well-supported, and it is open
source (like you, I have an extensive background with free software).
All of these are still good reasons to choose Evergreen and, in fact,
all of the are more attractive reasons today, for example,
installation with Ubuntu 12.04/Evergreen 2.2.1 was about as easy as it
gets which was not so true with Debian/Evergreen 1.6.0.4 just over two
years ago.

We are on our third school year with Evergreen and are very happy with
it. We started with 1.6.0.4 and jumped to 2.2.1 this summer. The
upgrade of the software was easy but the upgrade of the database was
more difficult for three reasons: (1) waited too long to do the
upgrade, (2) I have virtually no experience with Postgres (or SQL for
that matter), and (3) I have no inside knowledge of the workings of
Evergreen. With some guidance from several folks on the Evergreen IRC,
I was able to work through the database upgrade.

I was nearly regretting my choice of Evergreen during the database
upgrade this summer but I gotta believe there will be similar problems
with other software although the Evergreen database is probably more
extensive and thus more difficult to updrade. Either way, I will no
longer wait so long to upgrade which should help with this problem
(most folks do smaller incremental upgrades so that a jump from
1.6.0.4 to 2.2.1 is not a "typical" upgrade).

I don't run the library but I did initially learn enough to give some
basic instructions to the librarian. She took it from there, added all
of our books to the library, added student accounts, and has been very
happy with it. She would be the first to agree that she is not
technology savvy but she is a quick learner.

Andy